Teaching equivalent fractions using explicit teaching
This free online professional learning module will demonstrate how to incorporate components of explicit teaching into your lesson planning and give an example of explicit teaching in action through the lens of equivalent fractions.
In this module you will:
- explore how explicit teaching focuses on and makes explicit particular mathematical concepts and techniques
- consider the importance of appropriate prerequisite knowledge in preparation for explicit teaching
- identify key language to be used as part of explicit teaching
- explore how and why certain materials and examples can support explicit teaching
- recognise the importance of anticipating likely areas of student difficulty
- learn about the importance of picking tasks and activities that build on and reinforce the content.
|Foundation, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6
|Professional learning, Evidence-based approaches, Teaching strategies
|Teaching strategies and pedagogical approaches
|Explicit teaching, Concrete Representational Abstract model
|free professional learning, teaching strategies, evidence-based, primary maths, online course, fractions
|Strand and focus
Commonwealth of Australia
© 2022 Commonwealth of Australia. Creative Commons BY 4.0.