Prepare for the Check (12 items)
Your tasks as teacher:
- Familiarise yourself with the support materials so you feel confident in the process and the Check runs smoothly for you and your student.
- Conduct the Number Check one-on-one with your Year 1 students.
Read the Teachers guide, which gives detailed instructions for how to use the Number Check. The teachers guide includes curriculum links, tips on preparation, materials needed, sample scripts, and details about how to record student responses.
If you’re working online you’ll need:
- a computer for you to conduct the Check
- a second device or monitor for the student to view the Check student items, or you can provide them with the printed student paper-based questions
- at least 13 counters a piece of paper to cover the counters
- the Number Check practice sheet
- the Number Check scoring guide.
Scoring the Number Check
Before you begin using the Number Check with your students, familiarise yourself with the guidelines around scoring students’ responses. The Number Check scoring guide provides useful advice.
You’ll use the online Check, or the Answer sheet if running the Check offline, to record whether your students answer problems correctly or not.
Got it or Not yet?
When you’re scoring students’ responses, use the online Check prompts or the Number Check scoring guide to help you decide whether the students have ‘Got it’ or ‘Not yet’.
Annotating student responses
Recording both correct and incorrect student responses will support you to analyse the data collected by the Number Check. The online Check and the Number Check scoring guide provide scoring guidance, or you may prefer to develop your own approach.
For example, for question 7: Start counting from 62. I’ll tell you when to stop. (73)
Student counts sequentially by ones from 62 to 73.
Student counts sequentially by ones from 63 to 73.
Student clarifies starting number or counting by number, and then correctly counts sequentially by ones from 62 to 73.
Student does not count sequentially by ones from 62 by to 73.